Well I just finished my midterm cake for my cake decorating class last night. It was interesting – both myself and one of my classmates had one of our layers collapse in the middle, leaving a huge divot to fill. This, of course, just caused air bubbles galore underneath the fondant no matter what we did – so eventually I just gave up and let it be, because all I was doing was poking holes to pop one air bubble and then finding 10 more. Regardless, my color scheme worked out well, I loved the roses and my butterfly ended up looking very nice!
Here is my first attempt at a square cake – definitely had some issues, mainly because the kitchen was so hot that the buttercream started melting before I could even put the fondant on, which made for a very messy process. I did my best to cover up my mistakes with a thick border, as my corners weren’t looking too hot. I really did like the color scheme, and I loved using the little pink buttons on the border (I used them on all sides).
The last cake is our first cake we made in class, where we were learning about draping. I had fun cutting out all the circles and attaching them, even though the fondant was way too thick (should’ve been around 1/8″ thick) – but even though the drape/flowers don’t really match with the circles, I still like both aspects (just not together!)